Saturday, October 17, 2009

Interviewing My Son

I had a memorable and important experience last Sunday night. I took the evening off from the computer, and I took the time to play two games of chess with my 10-year-old son and just ask him all types of questions about his life, what he is reading and thinking about, about his schooling and about his spirituality.

I frequently take the time to spend time with my children. I have six of them, and we have a Family Home Evening every Monday night, and a Family Council most Sundays. We also try to do a couple of family activities every month. This is in addition to our help with their schooling and so forth.

For awhile, I was also lunching with one of my children each Friday, but I have not done that for a couple of months and I need to get back to it.

However, last Sunday evening was a little different, because I actually approached it from the standpoint of having a one on one interview with my son, and seeking to understand his place spiritually and the things he like, the things he wants to accomplish and the spiritual condition of his heart and mind. It was a chance to really seek to know him. I have friends who do this over lunch or dinner with their kids.


I highly recommend this practice as a way to strengthen family relationships and to combat the morally debilitating social forces which attack our children.

No comments: