Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving is only two days away, and our house is bustling with activity. We are going to celebrate Thanksgiving with many of my wife's family as well as my parents and my three youngest siblings who are still at home.

We were gifted a turkey by a chef friend that must weigh at least 40 lbs. I honestly do not know what pan we are going to cook it in, but we were given gourmet instructions and recipe for cooking it, and it was raised wild on a large ranch in Eastern Oregon, so it will likely be a very yummy bird.

The day after Thanksgiving is traditionally the largest retail shopping day of the year. Truthfully, I hate shopping that day. I hate the lines, and even though the sales are a little bit better than usual, it seems that everything in department stores is always on sale anyway, and the savings just isn't worth the time tradeoff.

With five children of my own, I do get to play Santa Claus, and it is certainly enjoyable to shop for my children and everyone else. I do a lot of this online, where I can take my time, compare items and find things that I cannot locally. We try not to make the Santa Claus thing to big of a deal in our home, because the holiday is for us, first the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ; second a time to be with family; and lastly a time to get and give.

The Western tradition of Santa Claus is embedded more deeply in the subconscious than most other cultural icons and with good reason: there is just a lot to love about the jolly old man and the smiles he brings to the young and old.

There are a few promotional products with a Santa Claus theme. Here are links to three:

Santa Claus Stress Toy
Rubber Duck Santa Claus Very cool!
The Autobiography of Santa Claus (This book is imprintable with your company's logo.

No comments: