Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Never Get This Sick!

I've been fighting this cold / stuffy nose / periodic headache now for more than two weeks. This is the first time I can remember in my adult life that a sickness has really taken hold like a clamp tightened around my throat and chest and then hung on for two long weeks.

Most people envy the my health. I'm one of those people (knock on wood) who simply rarely get sick. I usually miss less than a day of work a year due to illness. Even with this recent bout of sickness, I didn't miss a full day of work. Although, I did end up sleeping for an hour and a half literally under my desk when I felt terrible a little more than a week ago, and going home early a few days before that.

There are a lot of promotional items which can boast a health benefit. One simple and appreciated giveaway are these hand sanitizer bottles on a carabiner. They are convenient, inexpensive and make quick work of workplace germs. I hope whoever invented hand sanitizer was rewarded with a medal. Better yet, I'm sure he or she became rich.

Although, I use hand sanitizer occasionally, I'm not a mysophobic (the correct term for germaphobia). I think it is important to encounter bacteria in the environment regularly, but to maintain a boosted immune system and good nutrition to keep a strong bodily constitution. Even contact with small amounts of "bad" pathogenic bacteria is good for a healthy individual as it builds immunity. Here is a great article on this subject.

No comments: