Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Polyconcept: A promotional products juggernaut

Leed's is the most powerful player in the U.S. promotional products market, which is something I've known for a long time. I've always been impressed with their remarkable efficiency, their innovation both in products and in decorating and delivering those products. They are a huge company, which makes them all the more remarkable.

I personally prefer working with smaller businesses, because it represents my values. I like to support smaller family companies. However, all companies want to get bigger, and I don't begrudge a large brand because of their success - only if they begin to be arrogant and abusive to their customers.

Leed's is one of those companies that started out as a smaller family business and became much larger and did it well.

What I did not realize is the scope and the power of the company behind Leeds: Polyconcept. Polyconcept is a Dutch company and appears to be a promotional products juggernaut. They are approaching 700 million euros a year in sales, and about 50% of those come from their business divisions in the United States and Canada.

Polyconcept's service brands in the U.S. and Canada include Leed's, Bullet Line and Journalbooks, three of the largest brands in the promotional products industry. American Promotions, Inc. is a distributor for all three of these fine brands, but I simply had no idea that they had all consolidated under the same corporate umbrella.

I wonder if it is any indication of more consolidation to come in the industry's future.

No comments: