Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Parade and Promotions

I watched two parades in the last two weeks, and while I enjoyed the bands, the glittering floats, and the fantastic cars driving by, I pondered parades and promotions.

Parades bring lots of people together who sit and watch each other. This makes parades a perfect place for promotions. As we wove our way to an empty spot to sit and watch, I counted three of these umbrella hats.

Immensely practical umbrella hats! They shade, they keep off rain, and...they advertise. There were enough hats to recognize that people will wear them. And a logo imprinted on the side would have advertised to hundreds of people and be cheaper than a billboard.

Add to that, beach umbrellas at a parade.
Beach Umbrellas for Parade Shade
Easier to carry than a canopy, yet providing shade, as I melted in a mere straw hat, I suppressed my shade envy toward the beach umbrella people.

As more people filled in the empty areas of the sidewalk, I noticed the group in front of me brought stadium chairs.



The two seats, exactly like our Tote Stadium Seats promoted a piano teacher! There, on the back of the stadium chairs (that looked comfortable to sit in and easy to carry, both of which make parade goers universally jealous) was the website address of a piano teacher. She should've made her text logo a bit bigger, I had to squint, but I applaud her for choosing those stadium seats as a promotion. Great memorable and usable marketing!

Now a word about t-shirts. T-shirts are classic promotions, and at a parade they show group solidarity as well as "talk" to the audience.



Multiple times I watched groups of people wearing the same logoed t-shirts holding together huge balloon floats. I even saw a band dressed in identical logoed shirts (although they used polos). One balloon-float group caught my eye because all the t-shirts were printed on the side. This meant that the people watching the parade could read the t-shirts more easily as they walked by. I sent mental kudos to whomever created that design.

Hope you enjoy your next parade. What promotions do you think that shine at parades?

No comments: